Thanks to the generosity of the black-eyed D, I’ve had Stockholm Syndrome for almost a week now. (The album, not the actual syndrome.)
Here’s 7 things I can tell you after 5 listens.
- You’ve never heard Derek like this before.
- There are moments on this record that are closer on the musical scale to the Backstreet Boys than Caedmon’s Call…and I mean that in a good way.
- They absolutely crushed it on the cover art (as you can see above)
- I already knew Josh Moore was the man, but his work on this project should leave even the doubters convinced. I hope this is the first of many collaborations they work on. Bravo, Mr. Moore. Bravo.
- The song that has caused the stir, “What Matters More”, is absolutely worth the hype. I heard an acoustic version of it last month, and liked it. But hearing the finished product takes it to a whole new level. If this song doesn’t make it onto the INO release – and I fully understand why it probably won’t – it would be a bummer. (though I’m sure you’ll be able to get your hands on it one way or another)
- When it’s all said and done, I think there’s at least 3 songs on this record that will end up in my “All-Time Top 10 DW Songs” list. Maybe 4.
- It’s a strange thing to listen to a DW album and find yourself focusing on the music over the message. It’s not that the music hasn’t been good, it’s just that most of his past work has been so strong from a lyrical standpoint. But some of these songs are so fantastic sonically, I find myself thinking of the lyrics as an afterthought. For this reason it truly feels like new ground.
I’ve heard some rumblings about when this thing is going to be officially released, but I’m not sure if I’m supposed to talk about that stuff so I’ll hold off for now. Stay tuned for updates, and keep this project on your radar, I think you’re going to love it.
I’m not allowed to share the music, but if I could share it with only one of you, what would you do to be the one? Offer me power and fame? Treat me to a sleeve of Pro-V1 golf balls or a gift card to Dunkin Donuts? Promise me not to beat me up the next time you see me?
And hey, while we’re here…any new music y’all have been listening to lately that you want to give a shout out about? Share the love with us…